Re: Corrosion Proofing

Subject: Re: Corrosion Proofing
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:57:27
If Alochrom is the same as Alodine then it is fine for bonding and painting
(alloy components only) . Make sure they are cleaned first with something
like Aluprep (or metalprep) (which appears to be a solution of acid and
detergent) and rinsed well. You should get a full set of instructions with
the product.

For the steel parts a good primer is best. Try to get an etch primer if you
can. There's no need for a topcoat (adds extra weight). Make sure its grease
free first. The aluprep can be used to clean the steel parts as well before
painting. It may sound obvious but dont paint the areas you intend to bond.

We used hammerite for the exposed steel parts but dont know if its available
in the states.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS