Sticking Contactors . . .

Subject: Sticking Contactors . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:00:04

>There is something else to consider in installing solenoids (besides making
>sure you have the right one in each application). You should install them
>so that gravity assists the magnetic force in holding the contacts
>together. Do not install them upside down!

  I recall a story circulated around OSH about ten years ago. Seems
  some show pilot landed and found a chewed up starter ring
  gear and his starter contactor was stuck shut. Some arm-chair
  engineering on the spot deduced that high g-loading during aerobatic
  maneuvers were responsible for "teasing" the contacts in flight
  and causing welding much like low battery voltage.  The word
  went out like wildfire . . . tho shalt mount thy contactors
  UPSIDE down so that positive g-loading would not tend to close
  an open relay.

  The physics don't bear out any particular admonitions for orientation
  in the airplane. Once energized, a contactor has about 10x the force
  holding it closed than it takes to first move the contacts from a fully
  open position. Since a battery contact is ALWAYS closed, it's likely
  that you'll pull the wings off your airplane before you force the
  contactor open during a flight maneuver.

  Starter contactors (like our S702-1) have extra heavy springs
  to open them (to offset sticking tendencies) and extra heavy
  coils to close them (to offset contact bounce and subsequent
  damage from arcing while closing the high current load). G-loading
  effects on these contactors is even less significant than for
  the S701-1 continuous duty part. Further, starter contactors are
  normally mounted on firewall with base on vertical plane. This
  orientation puts g-loading sensitivity parallel to the longtitudinal
  axis of the airplane . . . don't fly into the side of a mountain, you
  might cause your starter contactor to close when you didn't want it
  to.

  By in large, all of the stories being circulated about contactor
  orientation and are not founded in the application or physics of
  the matter. IF the airshow pilot was using a poorly choosen device
  as a starter contactor (like our S701-1) AND it was oriented
  such that gravity helps close or keep the contacts closed, then
  it's thinkable that a 10g maneuver might have teased his starter
  contacts closed in flight. If he were using a REAL starter
  contactor installed accoding to recommendations, it would never
  happen. Maneuvering g-loads in airplanes you and I like to fly
  are not a risk to your various contactors.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different from  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com