Re: Europa completion

Subject: Re: Europa completion
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:33:02
Is that a wirewound pot by any chance?  I'd hate to trust a common
carbon composition type, with no "bypass switch" for it.  If
adjustable motor speed isn't desired, a Zener diode should work too.
I'd parallel two of them for redundancy, and 6.2 v should cut speed
about 1/2 (5 watt diodes to play safe; banded ends toward the batt).

A potential problem with the resistance approach is that the supplied
voltage is current dependent.  Theorize a binding condition or
electrical fault in the motor.  The fault itself will reduce trim
response, and the increased current (short of popping the fuse) might
drop the volts to where the motor could stall.

Fred F., A063