An afterthought - fuel

Subject: An afterthought - fuel
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:49:47
Cheers,
        I know this isn't very bright, but I just concluded that it might
intrigue further discussion. here in La-la-land North, we are4 required
to install a gascolator at the lowest point in the fuel system. I've
been pushing testers into the bottom of these things sinec 1952, and
they've saved my bacon on several occasions. I have the opinion that
they surely entrap foreign material however they are situate in the
system, but the real value is in sourcing water enroute the carb.
        Now, am I right that nearly all this water is the result of
condensation (mostly tankside) somewhere along the way (we cache fuel in
the North and used to use felt hat crowns to filter it from the
barrels). If that's so, then nearly all the water settles when the a/c
is stored (ie: tail up on the trailer. If THAT is so, then the
gascolator may be sited for its lowest point WHEN fuselage is horizontal
(stored or flying).
        As this gives me greaqter scope, would be appreciative of any
cautionary remarks thereto........
Happy Landings
Ferg #A064 (319)
P.S: After edvising to use the shipping crate for an oven, I've
discovered that the heat loss is greater than the temp difference can be
compensated for, so roll on the Spring!