LIGHTNING

Subject: LIGHTNING
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:34:04
Fred:
        Quite agree with your last message regarding an aircraft 'triggering' a
chatge. I built bug-zappers for mosquito and blackfly infested reaches
of our 'outback' and they taught me clearly that if you half the
distance between two angry plates you re4duce the charge but you toast
the trigger.
        Assessments based on passengers jet criteria are not particularly valid
here. They are big triggers with long trails of ions and so trigger
earlier shots, which being smaller, are more easily
countered/absorbed/dispensed by the metal structure. Mere Europas
stumble into already-charged skies and so (like a blackfly) trigger a
biggy just waiting to happen - and toast.
        I can't rival Nigel's 8inch hole, but have experienced a dozen or so,
---From shoe eyelet to fistsized chunk of balsa in a Vamp.
Happy landings
Ferg A064