Re: Dual batteries

Subject: Re: Dual batteries
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:56:45
> I have experiance with marine electrical systems. Their are some very
>light, vapor sealed  rotary battery switches. They would need to be modified
>for aviation use. But they are very reliable and are capable of high current
>loads.  For two battery systems, the rotary switch is labeled  left, right,
>both.

  It's very easy and in fact recommended that multiple batteries
  each have their own contactor for connection to the system. Furhter,
  there are connections to each battery that do not go through the
  contactor for running components of an electrically dependent
  engine. I.e., your electrically dependent engine should operate
  whether or not the DC master switch(es) are ON or OFF . . .

>> It's not an issue of electrical demand its the reliability and redundancy
>> that concerns me.  I have the Stratus Subaru engine and I'm getting the
>> dual ignition but obviously don't have mags.  So the second battery
would be
>> primarily backup power for the ignition, but potentially you could use two
>> batteries of the same size and provide complete redundancy.  Of course on
>> the other hand adding that reduncy could also increase the complexity and
>> reduce the reliability of the system.  I'm just interested if there is some
>> experience out there with some real simple redundant electrical systems.

  This topic has been discussed at length on the lists, in our book,
  in articles downloadable from our website and illustrated in numerous
  wiring diagrams downloadable from the website. Two-battery installations
  are no big deal . . .

>The concern you have for flying with your soob electrical system is
>legitimate. If auto systems are going to be used in aircraft, then you must
>build in redundant systems to match typical aircraft systems.

   I'll suggest the LAST thing we want to do is match "typical" aircraft
   systems . . . the architecture, components and pilot's understanding
   of those systems have not changed in 50 years.

>If a battery fails in most aircraft, the engine will continue to run,
>In your auto set up if the battery fails so does your engine. A
>two battery system duplicates the two magneto system pretty close
>as far as redundantcy is concerned. Batteries can and do fail with
>out warning.

   Batteries do NOT fail without warning. It's just that most of us
   don't pay any attention to what the battery is trying to tell us.
   We replace tires when the tread is gone, overhaul cylinders when
   the compression gets low, file nicks out of propellers when noticed,
   etc . . . . but we beat a battery until it fails to crank the engine
   . . . and replace it after we've propped the airplane for the third
   time.

   Very rudimentary preventative maintenance techiques will insure
   that nobody reading these words will EVER experience battery failure.

>To reduce the weight penalty two smaller bateries can be used,
>but they must be sized with absolute precision.

   Don't know about "precision" but some consideration must be given
   to what a battery's task is.  Batteries have three duties: (1) crank
   the engine, (2) stabilize alternator(s) and (3) provide power for
   essential goodies should alternator output be lost. The BEST
   hedge against alternator failure is two alternators . . . dump
   the sucky vacuum pump and install a second alternator. THEN the
   batteries on board no longer have to be sized for standby power.
   Total system weight can be much reduced.

>This topic is outside  my area of knowledge, so educate me.  I have an HDS
>with Stratus Soob. I have a small motorcycle battery (14AH) which has
>cranked me up without hesitation for 18 months and 98 hours of flight
>time. If my alternator light comes on and my instruments haven't indicated a
>problem, I think I can turn off my master and fly a long time on battery.

   I'd encourage this builder to replace THINKING with KNOWING how long
   his airplane will stay aloft battery only. Your battery should be
   no smaller than your fuel tank. If you do not KNOW that the battery
   capacity on board will allow you to use up fuel on board, then I'll
   suggest further investigation, personal education and perhaps
   some changes to your system are indicated . .

> something is wrong with the battery, shouldn't there be early indications.
> For thirty-one bucks I can get a new one. I have dual ignition but never
> thought I needed dual batteries. What are the odds of loosing all
> electrical if you are maintaining your airplane and monitoring your
> instruments? My empty weight is 602 and I like that.

   There's no pat answer to this . . . a number of options exist for
   insuring your flight system reliability. My personal goal for
   system reliability is, "From the time I break ground to the time
   I land, I don't want to break a sweat." This doesn't have to mean
   nothing ever fails. It means that I have to architecture a system
   for failure tolerance and educate myself in its operation and
   maintenance to sustain that level of reliability. Dual batteries
   and indeed dual alternators can often make for a LIGHTER airplane.

>1.  Flight over hostile territory (I fly in the Pacific Northwest w/o a lot
>of "emergency landing fields").

>2.  Alternator craps out.

   This happens a LOT on certified aircraft . . . just check the
   service difficulty reports at faa.gov . . . the REASON alternators
   crap a lot is because the overwhelming majority of the TC
   fleet are fitted with crappy alternators . . . holy-watered and
   configuration managed right into antiquity. TC alternators fail
   routinely in obscene ways every month . . . through bolts broke,
   cases cracked, bearings seized, windings burned . . . you name
   it . . . it happens. By LAW, that alternator will be returned to
   ORIGINAL configuration and bolted back on some poor pilot's airplane.

   B&C and similar alternators (Nipon-Dienso) have DEMONSTRATED
   operational reliability suggesting that most will run the lifetime
   of engine with nothing more than a belt change. B&C's return rate
   in thousands of sales over the past 10 years has been under 1% for
   the total fleet!

>3.  The above fact is discovered by the voltage dropping alarmingly low on
>the voltmeter.

   Why not some form of ACTIVE notification of alternator failure?
   Most pilots don't look at the voltmeter until the panel starts to
   go black or the radios begin to mis-behave . . . with no ACTIVE
   notification, one tootles along with everything operating and
   lights blazing thus squandering a limited energy resource. By the
   time you know anything is wrong, your options are all gone.

>4.  Shedding the electrical load still leaves too little juice to power
>things like radio, fuel pump, and CD player.

   See articles on website and chapter in book on system reliability.

>Hence, I installed a second 17 ah battery with a switch on the panel that
>kicks in the second battery and provides extra time to make a safe landing
>with needed equipment.

   Dual 17 a.h. batteries is 34 pounds total. Add to this about 8-10 pounds
   of vacuum system for 44 pounds. Now consider taking out two batteries,
   one vacuum system and putting one 4 to 7 pound alternator and one
   10 pound battery for a weight REDUCTION of 27 pounds and a net
   increase in flight system reliability unequaled in ANY certified
   aircraft.

>5 years ago I was on a 300 mile cross country in a Cessna 150. 30 miles from
>my destination the voltage regulator apparently failed wide open.  Sparks
and
>smoke started spewing our of the instrument panel as my first indication.
In
>the short time I took to turn everything off, it was too late, basically
>everthing that was "on" failed including the electric clock.  I was also
>amazed that in that short time, the battery was completely discharged.  Once
>the smoke cleared and I calmed down.  I continued to my destination with a
>completely inoperative electrical system and made a normal no flap landing.
>With one battery and an electronic ignition system, I would have had a dead
>engine as well.

   Forgive me, I am in no way trying to demean this writer's experience
   but this is typical of the "dark and stormy night" stories that
   drive our design, maintenance and operating decisions on homebuilts.

   I'll suggest that TC aircraft can be used only as examples of
   how NOT to architecture, maintain and operate an electrical system. I've
   often written that my personal mind-set climbing into a rental TC
   ship is that I don't care if ANY of that stuff is working 5 minutes
   after take-off. I intend to get where I need to go without breaking
   a sweat. That means UNDERSTANDING the limitations of a machine designed
   by government blessed factories and maintained by government blessed
   mechanics and procedures . . . and outfitting myself to deal with the
   worst. $30 worth of parts and a weekend's effort could elevate the
   average TC aircraft into 21st century . . . but it ain't gonna happen.
   This is why we need to look past our experience with TC ships to
   design and operate our airplanes.

   Virtually EVERY concern voiced above can be addressed with simple
   choices in architecture and knowledge of how the system and its
   components operate. Education and decisions based on understanding
   will make it so . . .

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com