Flying: safety issue?

Subject: Flying: safety issue?
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:01:46

I went flying today in a brisk crosswind. Can't complain too much about
my landings,
but an arrival issue did arise.

Probably during the last touchdown (grass strip), at some point during
the landing roll
the little metal clip which holds the tailwheel spring to the tailwheel
(left side) broke.

As the aircraft decelerated below the point at which the rudder is
effective and where
tailwheel steering comes into it's own, the aircraft took a decided,
uncontrolled turn to
the right and began to weathercock into the direction of the crosswind.

Fortunately the speed was low, and the farmer had harvested the crops
---From the adjacent
field. No harm was done as I took a short cut across the rough field and
on to the
taxiway.  ......but it could have been different !

The tailwheel on my monowheel aircraft is fairly standard. I had done a
considerable number of
landings in the last couple of years. I wouldn't say that it had been
particularly abused,
however I had not replaced the retention pin, which "limit stops" the
turn in the tailwheel.
Mishandling of the aircraft on the ground, often by other pilots keen to
gain access to
their own aircraft, tended to cause it to break on a regular basis.

It might be some cause for concern that such a minor issue could cause
loss of low speed
directional control in some circumstances. In view of the problems posed
by crowded
airfields, or narrow strips perhaps this may serve as a timely reminder
to check this area
prior to flight, and avoid excessive abuse of the tailwheel mechanism.

Alan

Alan. D. Stewart
14 Goddard Way                                   phone: +44 (0)1245
264186
Chelmer Village                                    mobile: +44 (0)7860
720257
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR               email:
alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

            office - email   :  alan.d.stewart@bt.com
                         phone : +44 (0)1473 605163
                         fax       : +44 (0)1473 622594