Berube Gear - more thoughts

Subject: Berube Gear - more thoughts
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:15:24

After looking at the Berubeand HB-YIB conventional gear photos again,
and comparing them to other installations, I'm not convinced that this
installation is as robust as the monowheel or trigear.

The gear is apparently placed under the seat pan.  The monowheel ties in
to the engine mount, and loads are transmitted through the firewall and
tunnel to the rest of the fuselage.  The trigear mains appear to tie in
to the main spar.  Either of these locations is great, as this is where
the body structure is strongest.  I'm a little worried about the
structural strengthening required.

If we consider the Van's RV gear arrangement, the mains angle back from
the engine mount, making for a light and efficient structure.  This
arrangement would take advantage of the structure already in place for
the monowheel, but the engine mount and footwells probably prevent this.

Just thoughts-

Shaun