Tightening of suspension bungee.

Subject: Tightening of suspension bungee.
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:43:17
Hi! All.
When I first applied the bungee to the mono-wheel application I scoffed at
the instructions in the manual , the tension being almost impossible to
achieve, later three of us had difficulty restraining the aircraft from
following us when we applied the even stronger trike bungee.!
Hopefully some builders may find these tips useful in the future, or
otherwise everyone just may already know about it and I may be only just
arriving !
When I first applied the trike bungee the resultant break load on the nose
wheel was only 125kg.
About 10kg light of the minimum figure, if you really care about your
propeller staying it's original length! The trike stronger bungee mod .
advocates 160kg.
Well ,whilst it hasn't yet been weighed I believe I've now achieved the 25mm
needed between the blue bands on the tensioned falls of rope.
Firstly I lashed the tail of the a/c to a fixture , to prevent it following
me!, then I reeved the bungee starting from a mark placed on the middle of
the length. This left two long tails looking forward which I attached by
nylon rope to my car towbar , then moved the car forward to apply
considerable tension to the tails.(as you proceed you can move the car
further forward)
I had previously been to a mountaineering shop and bought two "TIBLOC"
ascender's and two 10mm "clippers"(Krabs). (tiblocs allow you to pull the
individual falls of bungee in one direction yet slide free in the other
way.) By attaching them and pulling one fall down and pushing the other side
up the bungee can be tensioned from the middle outwards.
Then on the last leg, prior to tie off , the tension can be retained by
using lock wire to hold the tiblocs/clippers in place whilst you remove your
car and  prepare a knot so that when you pull the knot through to equal the
tension of the tiblocs they  can then be removed and the knot completed in
the usual manner.
I bought the TIBLOCs and Clippers(KRABS) from HITCH n HIKE at The High Peak
Garden Centre, Mytham Bridge, Bamford, Derbyshire S30 2BH Tel.01433 651013
fax. 01433 650105
Tiblocs were 12.25 each and Clippers were 3.85 each all inclusive of V.A.T
Just as an insurance ,until I weigh the breakout force I  didn't cut the
bungee but   continued with the now surplus  bungee and applied another two
falls to the system.!
Hopefully you all can follow this lengthy description OK ?
Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG.