Berube Gear Comments

Subject: Berube Gear Comments
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:30:35

Ed and Sue asked me to post my impressions of the
Berube gear to the web.

The installation looks very clean and quite simple.  As compared to,
say, an RV, the plane appears more squat.
Of course, so does the monowheel.  The closest other design in
appearance I can think of is the Rand KR-2.

I'm sure it could save weight over the monowheel installation.  It will
be interesting to see how much more drag than the monowheel, and whether
the weight savings cancel out a lot of the difference.  At this time,
HB-YIB is the only conventional gear installation flying, and it has so
many other mods that direct comparisons will be impossible.

Shaun