Flap cores

Subject: Flap cores
From: Chris and Susan Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:39:21
Hi Gang,

I was setting up our flap cores for the first layups today, and reading
through the procedure for verifying the washout.  Seems simple enough,
but when I look at our top jig blocks, I can almost see through the
portion where the thickest part of the chord was.  In other words, they
are about as stiff as a wet noodle, and I don't see how shimming them is
going to be very effective.

I bonded the cores together this morning using the bottom jig blocks
which were much thicker.  I did have to shim up one core on each to get
them level across.  I used some scrap picture mat material which was
perfect in thickness.  Otherwise I would have had a 1mm step.

Otherwise, not much is new.  Took the big jump and drilled the pip pin
holes last weekend.  I was rather apprehensive about screwing up.  But
with the help of some "non-walking" TiN coated drill bits and my
wonderful helper keeping the drill lined up, I got both holes dead nuts
centered on the tube.  I was quite relieved.

Now if our builder would hurry up and get started on the basement
entryway so we can get our fuse and wings downstairs and out of the
garage.  It won't be too long 'til we will be ready for them.

ENJOY!

Chris
A159