Re: Pre-skin Floxing

Subject: Re: Pre-skin Floxing
From: Ed <bizzarro@easynet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:35:14
Hi Tony

I think, for what it is worth, that to flox the ribs first and let them
set is only a good idea if you can guarantee that you will get them
perfectly flush with the cores. As this is not possible,  I would advise
that you don't. If you have low spots, then you will end up with bubbles
under the surface. If you end up with high spots, then in attempt to
sand them down, you will inevitably sand the foam surrounding the ribs
down before you even make an impression on the flox.

However, the flox when wet, is quite flexible and can be moved around
under the skin.

We did it by first applying masking tape parallel with the ribs right
next to the 45 degree cut-outs in the core, then applied the flox,
levelling it to be a flush as possible with the cores, laying clear
plastic over it, and using a squeegee to remove the excess flox. The
masking tape stops the flox from getting on to the flying surface
profile of the cores whilst you manipulate the flox with the squeegee.
Then whilst it was still wet, removed the masking tape and do the skin
lay-ups.

Practice putting the bi-axial cloth on before putting any slurry, resin
or flox on the wing surface. We rolled the cloth onto a cardboard roll.
We marked the leading edge with a pen line once we had alligned it, so
that doing it for real, we would know that it was positioned correctly.
This is because pulling the skin back up, pulls out the flox that you so
carefully positioned in the rib joints.

It all appears to be frightening, but once you start, it is ok. Floxing
vertically is ok if the consistancy is correct. Too dry and it rapidly
becomes unworkable as it picks up dust. Too wet and it drops out and
runs down the wing

I wouldn't do the leading edge lay-ups on my own either. You need one
person continuously mixing resin, and at least two applying the slurry.
Apply the resin quickly and generously before laying the Bi-axial cloth,
as you can squeegee the excess out to the surface, but trying to get the
resin back through on the dry spots is a nightmare. Once the skin is on,
a resin roller is an excellent way to draw the epoxy to the surface.

We peel plied the whole of the leading edge back to the spar. We were
told that it would also help to draw the excess through the fibre glass
and make a lighter wing. I  am personally, not so sure that this is
correct. It could just leave a thicker layer under the peel ply, you
have to make your own mind up on that one.

Good luck

Eddie

--
////Eddie Hatcher///Bill Lams///Nick Crisp////
///////South East London Flying Group/////////