Re: Plastic Brake Lines

Subject: Re: Plastic Brake Lines
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:06:06
Larry, Hal --

Thanx for your input, especially as it based upon
actual experience. It sure sounds like plastic is
just fine for wing spars, but not brake lines <g>!

However, I do want to use aluminum all the way
---From the master cylinders to the brakes.  On the
tri-gear, the master cylinders are of course in
the footwell, and I don't see any way to
adequately inspect those nylon tube fittings other
than for obvious leakage.  And that presumes I can
get down in there to even install them properly.
With metal tubing, it's guaranteed airworthy if
the nut is tight.

I understand that flexible Aeroquip hose at the
caliper is the best solution, but there's no
weight penalty to merely sub aluminum for the
nylon.  There will be a weight penalty in the
Aeroquip hose, with the additional fittings to
marry to the nylon.  I know that on some
production fixed-gear A/C, they run aluminum all
the way to the caliper, 5052 probably, and the
only long-term implication I've seen is sometimes
it hair-line cracks a Cleveland caliper where the
AN fittings get tugged at once too often by the
stiff tubing, causing minor leakage.

I wonder if the softer 3003 would work here given
the lesser pressures of duty in an A/C of Europa
weight.  It's also easier to route (very
circuitous), and I probably can loop it easily
where it connects to the caliper.

Do you guys, or anyone else out there know?

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063, N3EU