Re: Plastic Brake Lines

Subject: Re: Plastic Brake Lines
From: Larry Graves <larry@aircraftersllc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:27:08
Fred, Thomas,

We've seen this failure in a similar installation on a Glasair II, where the
construction manual called for "nylaflow" brake lines from brake master
cylinders all the way to the calipers. After an instance of heavy braking
and heating up, the nylaflow line softened and folded over, causing the
brakes to fail. Fortunately, an experienced test pilot was at the controls,
so no damage resulted.

Our suggestion is to terminate the plastic or nylon brake lines just above
the brake caliper and join with a union fitting to an Aeoquip-type brake
hose of the sort that is steel braided tubing wrapped in a rubberized cloth
braid, rated to 3000 psi. We allowed a 16-inch flex hose to accommodate a
360-degree service loop so that the brake calipers were free to move about
with pad-wear. We feel this is better than a hard aluminum line.

Cheers,

Larry Graves
AirCrafters Builder Assistance Center
5810 Obata Way Unit 7 Gilroy, CA 95020