AW: Aileron trim servo location

Subject: AW: Aileron trim servo location
From: 11323@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:28:27
Yep, I understand they serve different missions: The Trim Tab is really
trimming out differences in weight distribution or in the building of the
wings and is something that doesn't need to be moved a lot.  - while the
Navaid is the wing leveler / GPS-tracker.

Some more thought on that before all jump and install a Servo inside their
ailerons:

(1) the plane is so light it is no problem to keep one hand / knee on the
    stick to keep it level. As a low wing type aircraft is easily subject to
    dropping one wing. But from practical experience I cannot find a
    "chocolate-side" with mine. It's rather a chaotic behaviour which
    wing will drop next. Thus you keep your hand on the stick anyways
    and with a servo that is not automatic you'd have your fingers on the
    rocker-switch all the time, too.

(2) The Navaid is outstanding as a wing-leveler - however I haven't heard
    yet of anyone using it a a tracker. Might be that it is too difficult to
    follow those minimal voltage changes of the CDI and needs to be
re-worked
    on a digital basis (eg. make "bearing" and "track over ground" match).

(3) My Trim Servo for the elevator failed after 20 hrs of service. With no
    Service window on the tail it was necessary to cut open the fin
    to remove the Servo. The reason for the failure was too high a friction
of
    the moving lever against the lid. I've flown 100 hrs since without
further
    problems. So - if you feel the need for a Servo in the aileron - make it
    serviceable.

Allow me to tell you about another great flight yesterday: I was in Berlin
Tempelhof over the weekend and flew back home (Bonn - near Cologne). Some
6oo km by car. Tempelhof is the airport used by the US-Airforces when they
completely supported Berlin from the air for 10 (?) months in the 50's.
Classic Airport inmidst town. On the way back I had to fly around a quite
impressive
thunderstorm (ass tightly shut after the article in the Europa Club
newsletter
about lightning strike on composite aircraft).

After > 100 hrs in my Europa I still enjoy every minute. What a toy !

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>