More Electrical Power

Subject: More Electrical Power
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 22:12:28
I can now say that it can be done.  I've designed built and installed a
40A alternator that is crank driven at the rear of the engine.  It fits
in the space just behind the engine in the engine mount area.  The
alternator is rated at 40A at 6000 rpm.  Since we can only get a max. of
5800 rpm, the max output would be around 37A to 38A.   Most likely,
cruise output would be around 30A to 33A.  The unit weighs (all parts
included) 9-1/2 lbs.  The alternator weighs 6-1/2 # by itself.  I won't
be testing it until I get my bird flying the end of this year or early
next year.  But, everything looks real good.  I am personally installing
a dual alternator / battery electrical system.  All my flight instruments
will be electrical.  I've just purchased a "china" built artificial
horizon.  It costs about 1/3 less than the certified version.  Florida is
just to hazy to not have one.  They say there will be a dir.gyro to
follow at the same price.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  Or in
this case, I'm to cheep to buy the expensive stuff.

                                                        Jim