Shoot bolts

Subject: Shoot bolts
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:30:44
Can anyone tell me how to prevent galling of the shoot bolts in the guide
bushings?  I have tried the following things, each of which has helped:
1. Smooth the rough spots of the bolts and guides with 400 grit paper.
2. Adjust rods and bushings for perfect alignment throughout the range of
travel, as indicated by slight free play of the shoot bolts in all
directions.
3. Apply anti-seize lubricant.
4. Burnish the shoot bolts (guides are more difficult) to a mirror finish
with a smooth steel rod.

I am now up to 100 successive open/close operations without seizing (holding
the doors closed so the shoot bolts rub lightly in the guides), but one of
the shoot bolts has scratches that look like they will get worse.  I don't
know what to do next, as it seems to me that galling is pretty normal when
aluminum rubs on aluminum.

Dave DeFord, #A135