Re: Rudder question....

Subject: Re: Rudder question....
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:21:57
Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just wondering .... I don't think the rudder has a counter-balance (?) > if
> not,
has there been any flutter tendency?

Nope, no counterbalance.  If there had been a
problem, I believe Europa would have sounded an
alarm by now.  No instances have been posted to
this list.

> Would adding in a trim servo (as some have done to the aileron) result > in a
flutter problem due to the increased mass?

There, you will be a true test pilot, and you
simply test it out at progressively higher speeds,
hoping that if flutter occurs you'll be able to
stop it in time!

A fixed tab should be sufficient, if needed at
all.  You  see "rudder trim" in bigger planes
needing hefty, fatiguing rudder input during
climb.  Others can comment here, but I doubt the
Europa is in that category.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063