"Audio" connexions

Subject: "Audio" connexions
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:10:01
Cheers:
        I read with anxiety the mail on "Cellphones". It is like revisitting
VHF amateur radio after fifty years.
        The 'audio' considerations are by far the least of the problems to be
solved. As mentioned, the "phone" is a radio transceiver, and is
transmitting when turned on, not just when talking. It is monitorred for
position and signal qualities in order to establish the best repeater
site to relay signals. It is line-of-sight and so added height means
greatly increased coverage - D= sqrt(H) x 1.1 D is distance in sm., H is
altitude above datum in feet.
        'Radar' ovens cook meat at about three times the frequency of the
transmitter. Studies of brain cancer incidence are available for VHF
frequencies from the Amer. Radio Relay League. If you want to stick the
antenna in your ear (the earpiece cord is also the aerial), go ahead -
but if you break your leg, don't come running to me.
        I first encountered electronic interference when a neophyte ham kept
de-pressurizing the B727 by tapping his handheld, even after being told
not to.
        Trevor is correct that all radio regulations are subject to the caveat
that where lives are at stake, any radio may do any thing to serve the
need without recrimination. It is a moot point whether reassurance is a
life-saver. Personally I would opt for a good aviation handheld before a
cellular 'telephone'. The satellite sets will be OK, tho'.
Happy Landings
Ferg #A064