visit to Isaac and Graham

Subject: visit to Isaac and Graham
From: Timothy houlihan <Tim@houlihan.flyer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:36:39
On Thursday I was able to visit Isaac and Graham at the North Staffs
hospital .

Isaac is in ward 11 which is variously known as the " multiple injuries
ward" and also the " High dependency unit" . I foundthe nursing staff
to be superb. I told them I was a "friend" but I doubted if Isaac would
know me, or remember me from our talk at the rally, ( I expected not to
be able to do anything but leave a message) after a short delay I
waskindly allowed to see him. I was somewhat shocked ( I don't know
what I really expected ) to find him completely sedated and unconscious.
He has had severe facial injuries and has an external brace fitted to
his forehead and lower face but paradoxically he looked better than I
expected, the eye injury though appalling did not seem dramatically
obvious!! he looked much as I remember him from the PFA Rally at
Cranfield,

Although he was unconscious I talked to him and told him that an awful
lot of people were praying for his recovery , the staff would not tell
me his medical situation except to say he still had many problems and
that time was a great healer. They seem to be a super group of
professionals and I know they will do everything for Isaac.

I was told we could phone anytime for info but I failed to get the
number! sorry.

 Graham sounded good but looked as though hehad really been through it
these last few weeks,he was very positive about things in general. And
when I asked if I could do anything practical for him? for example I had
a phone in my pocket, would he like to use it to contact anyone?. He
asked if he could phone Ivan, so I arranged for him to be able to talk
to Ivan and they had a very "old friends" type of call for some minutes,
I think they both valued that. Grahams sense of humour seems to be
unaffected (at least he smiled at myjokes ) but I think he will find
the next phase of his recovery rather trying as time passes slowly and
the days are long in hospital. He kept my copy of the new factory
newsletter to read ! but I think he will need more reading matter and
visits to keep him occupied.

Regards

Tim houlihan