Re: Europa_Mail:Prop balancing

Subject: Re: Europa_Mail:Prop balancing
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:42:22
Hi Jim and newsgroup,

I concur with your approach.

My 'classic' spinner has been a constant irritation over the years. I've
never tried to have it dynamically
balanced, due cost.

It is now within acceptable limits throughout the entire rev. range. (though
there are rev. ranges where it
can be detected)

I achieved this by following the approach that you have described.
Basically, there are three potential
sites for washers, and with each flight I repositioned them. When I achieved
a result with lower vibration,
I varied the weight of the load. (NB. take care the screw threads are long
enough as the prop is vulnerable
in this area).

The other thing to bear in mind is that not all classic spinners are the
same. One of mine was too out
of balance to correct. This can be because it is mis-shapen, or because of
variable weight distribution
as a result of the manufacturing process.

My cone was carefully rubbed down and balanced as much as possible before
attempting final adjustment
on the aircraft.

I often wonder if the result would have been better, if I had spent the
money and had it done professionally.

alan