Re: Europa_Mail:Prop balancing

Subject: Re: Europa_Mail:Prop balancing
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:41:39
Very interested to hear of any budget solution to prop balancing using
acclerators and lap tops. For standard propellers of three blades or more I
beleive static balancing is perfectly adequate. That does not take account
of any out of balance of the spinner etc.. Balancing a in-flight variable is
usually more difficult as its difficult to mount them on a balancer with
sufficient accuracy. Skydrive in the UK have produced a balancer based on a
Rotax gearbox fitted with low friction bearings. The propeller mounted to
the gearbox tends to rotate until the heavy part is lowest? haven't tried it
myself?

In my opinion 100% carbon reinforced blades produce a harsh installation and
some people may mistake the natural feel or resonance of the prop for out of
balance.

I understand Noel Trigg in the UK uses a lap top and his own software to
balance props. I have not heard anything other than good about the results
he achieves but he is not cheap at around 300 pounds a pop. Anybody with
good/bad results from other balancers in the UK would be useful infromation.

Jerry

                                                lts@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown