Re: Horiz. Stab. Closeouts

Subject: Re: Horiz. Stab. Closeouts
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:54:00
Steve,
With your trim tabs, be careful of the hinge placement. The inboard hinge
is 1/2" inboard (as I recall) from the inboard end of the closeout root
end, not as I thought, 1/2" in from the vertical web face of the closeout.
Suffice to say my hinges are outboard the width of the closeout horizontal
skin flanges, or 1". I enquired of Andy and he said this would be OK. The
placement of the reinforcing plies is what tricked me. I seem to recall the
manual mentioned to position them as per the hinge location advised above,
but in actuallity a portion of the hinge reinforcing, that section that
would normally run along the bottom "web" of the closeout, is expected to
wrap around into the closeout. This sounds pretty tricky as the action of
working it around onto the web of the root closeout would drag it away from
the horizontal skin flange, the actual point that needs reinforcing
directly for hinge rivetting/bonding. The message in all of  this is be
careful, and it might be worth doube checking with Andy about the inboard
placement of the hinge reinforcement plies. I don't recall any real need to
place extra plies in this location. Lets face it, the tabs are not very big
and the intent is to not have very much load on them anyway!
Reg
Tony Renshaw

>I have just deftly cut the servo tabs out of my stabilizers (a surgeon would
>be envious) and am getting ready for the close outs.  I seem to remember
that
>someone had mentioned that the hot setup was to lay in 3 plies of hinge
>reinforcing material instead of 2 as noted in the build book.  Is this
indeed
>true has there been a problem here? I might have caught this from some other
>hinge issue. I don't necessarily want to get in the mode of adding extra
>material and supports where not needed. Throughout 3 or so years of building
>and adding this could "led sled-itis".  Is there any history on this? Fill
me
>in.
>
>Thanks
>Steve Hagar