Re: Exide Orbital Recombinant Battery ?

Subject: Re: Exide Orbital Recombinant Battery ?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:14:49
>Exide is selling a "recombinant" battery. See www.exideworld.com. How does
>it compare to the recombinant aircraft batteries sold by Concorde and B&C ?

  Took a look at this site and it appears that the product
  is a descendant of the jelly-roll cells originally
  developed and patented over 20 years ago. The cells
  were (and still are) marketed under Gate's Energy Products
  Cyclon brand for about the past 15 years or more.
  When the Gate's patents expired a number of folk
  took interest in the technology. When Gates sold
  off the battery division, a company in Denver got the
  tooling for the big jelly-roll cells while another
  company (Hawker I think) took over the litte version.
  We use the 2 a.h. cells to this day in our MQM
  series targets.

  We should expect to see more of the "silo" batteries
  to pop up. Exide is a very old and respected name in
  rechargable batteries. The technology used in the Orbital
  battery is quite mature. These are reasons to believe
  their offering is technically near if not at the
  top of the heap in the growing field of portable
  energy storage devices.

  I did get the following from their website:

     THE ORBITAL BATTERY IS SENSITIVE TO HIGH VOLTAGE
     CHARGING (ABOVE 14.4 VOLTS).THE RECOMMENDATION IS
     TO USE A 6 TO 12 AMP, 12 VOLT AUTOMATIC CHARGER SET
     AT THE REGULAR SETTING. IF YOU USE A NON- AUTOMATIC
     CHARGER, YOU NEED TO MONITOR THE VOLTAGE SO IT
     DOES NOT EXCEED 14.4 VOLTS AND/OR 12 AMPS ANYTIME
     DURING RECHARGE. THIS BATTERY ONLY NEEDS
     RECHARGING IF THE OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE (O.C.V.) IS
     BELOW 12.5 VOLTS.

  Unlke the Gates-now-Hawker products, their recommendations
  are more conservative with respect to care and feeding
  of the battery. That 14.4V/12A limit is, I believe,
  NOT a red-line where exceeding the values means instant
  or even accelerated demise of the battery. In automotive
  applications where you are encouraged to flog-it-til-
  it-dies, the 14.4/12 limits will optomize service life.

  This is NOT an inexpensive battery. Further, it's probably
  only offered in automotive sizes (24 a.h. or there-abouts)
  so it's not a lightweight. Nor is it going to be in-expensive.
  In the grand picture of our need for reliable cranking,
  and RESERVE energy storage, I would encourage builders
  to think lighter, less expensive and REPLACE based on
  capacity than to sink a lot of bux into an expensive,
  classy car battery and suffer the temptation to flog-
  it-til-it-dies.

  I found this tid bit on their website too . . .

    Because Exide Select orbital can withstand abuses that kill
    conventional batteries, it's a perfect choice for many vehicles,
    including classic cars, RVs, boats (starting only), taxis, seasonal
    and farm equipment.

  . . . an interesting contrast to the charging instructions
  cited above. The #1 "abuse" suffered by airplane batteries
  is long periods of inattention. The very low self-discharge
  rates of EVERYBODY's RG battery makes them less susceptable
  to loss in storage. But if one interprets the charging
  recommendations paragraph as oh-my-gosh-gospel then I'll
  suggest the Exide Orbital is no more rugged than most
  other RG products on the market.

       Bob . . .