Learning curve items

Subject: Learning curve items
From: HAGARGS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:27:03
I'm into my build about two and a half months now and have come across
several items that have made life much easier:

1.  Dump the "dry wall scrapers" that come with the kit to squeegee epoxy.  I
went       to an auto body supply shop and found some 3M wet/dry rubber
squeegees (pt#'s 05517 & 05518). They work quite nicely around the curved
leading edges and tips of the horizontal stabilizers. Real curve huggers.

2.  Make your self one of those hot wire cutters that Burt Rutan describes in
his book ($14 pamphlet!?).  It's a hell of a lot more fun than trying to form
surfaces with a hack saw blade like you are asked to do in the builder's
manual.

3.  Replace the peel ply you get in the kit with some 1.7 oz poly-dacron from
Aircraft Spruce (pt# 09-00090) its a great deal easier to cut accurately and
leaves a nice fine surface when removed.

Just a note for you guys in the northern climes:  I had a real pleasant
evening last night in the garage with the door open.  It was a nice balmy 70
degrees out there.  Oh and all the neighbors have their Christmas lights up.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ