re: FWD question (two alternators?)

Subject: re: FWD question (two alternators?)
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:40:33
>> An alternator puts out dirty current, which some electronics can not
>> handle, but by running it through
>> a battery cleans it up.  So if you lost your battery, 2 alternators could
>> be a whole lot of nothing.
>> But with 2 batteries you have 30 hours or more of reserve if you lost
>> your alternator.
>>
>> No two alternators!

>Bob......What's your opinion on this

  Yeah but . . . . repeat after me, "I solomly swear that I will
  do my best to observe the laws of physics and conduct maintenance
  on my airplane to live well INSIDE the envelope of operations
  for the equipment installed."

  There is no reason for anyone to LOOSE a battery. If you flog
  it until it doesn't crank the engine for the 4th or 5th time,
  don't do periodic capacity checks or fail to replace it
  periodically to insure minimal levels of servicability, -AND-
  you suffer from the "if-it's-good-for-50K-Cessnas, it's-gotta-
  be-good-for-my-airplane" syndrome, then indeed, 20 alternators
  wouldn't do you any good. Let's reveiw the facts and physics:

  (1) Most alternators do indeed need SOME form of battery on line
  not so much for cleaning up "dirty current" as for stabilization
  of the alternator/regulator's voltage regulatrion servo-loop