Re: AE Co-ax

Subject: Re: AE Co-ax
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:38:44

>Cheers!
>        In the other hand, performance ain't all.
>        Forty years or so have taught me I'll be in there, testing for faulty
>coax, or deteriorated connectors, or vibration damage long before the
>set gives up. Perhaps Bob Nuckolls can tell us more about the staying
>power of RG400?
>        What say?

  Both RG-58 and RG-400 are 50 ohm coax cables suited for
  use with radio tranceivers. The RG-58 is a 50+ year old
  specification that has been bastardized heavily by industry.
  Just because it's marked "RG-58" doesn't mean it's the real
  stuff. Even in its best form, RG-58 uses plastics typical
  of the era when the coax was designed.

  RG-400 is a silver plated, double-shielded coax with cousins
  of teflon for insulation. It's losses are lower than RG-58 but
  for short runs, this isn't a driving selection factor. Its
  resistance to aging has to be a lot better than RG-58. Both
  coaxes can use the same crimp connectors and tools described
  on our website.

       Bob . . .