RE: Light

Subject: RE: Light
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:17:13
>Any thoughts on how many watts it takes on average for a small plane to be
>able to light up the runway on approach and landing?  I like Bob's idea of
>the 50w 4352s for the wings, a total of 100w.  (Got to keep the math simple)
>What about a third light (100w?) in the nose for a total of 200w?  Where are
>the best places to mount lights in the wing - out towards the tips or in
>closer?  In my old C-130 days, we had a light that rotated down from the
>bottom of the wing to point forward.  After landing, you flip the switch and
>to rotated back up into the wing.  Could this be done on a Kitfox?  Anyone
>with experience on what is the minimum amount of light needed to make it
>worthwhile in the first place please step forward.

   I tried this experiment a few years back while we owned an
   airport complete with J-3 Cub:  I took an ordinary sportsman's
   lantern (6v, 0.8a bulb for a grand total of 4.8 watts!) and
   duct-taped it to the strut so that it pointed in the right
   place for looking ahead in a wheel landing attitude. I can
   tell you that this light was entirely adequate for performing
   a series of touch-n-go's in the Cub long after the sun went
   down.  If I needed to build a minimum energy system (perhaps
   wind generator powered?) for night landings in the Cub,
   a pair of 5w fixtures on each wing would be quite useful
   and doable.

   Adequate lighting has very little to do with watts, it has
   to do with what you can see. If you fly off of runways in the
   bush and expect to crow-hop over an occasional deer or
   possum on the runway, then a few kilowatts of police-
   hellicopter klieg-lights may not be enough.  If you need to
   accomplish reliably controlled landings on a runway that
   is already outlined in the little row of bulbs down each
   side, then it can be a whole different story (the runway
   lamps on our airport were 8 watt sewing machine bulbs!).

   Piling on the watts and lumens may be satisfying in some
   respects. I'll suggest that we're building the best airplanes
   that have ever flown. Part of being "best" means optomizing
   hardware to the task while considering temperature
   rise, power consumption, installation ease, utility,
   cost/performace ratio, etc.  We who have roots deep in
   the certified aircraft world bring a lot of baggage with
   us when it comes to sorting out what's useful versus
   what's found on the heavy-iron birds we learned in.

   Right here in these forums is where we sort through the
   pieces and parts to see what's really useful while
   hopefully eliminating all things from the hard-to-do pile.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Jurassic Park of aviation.   >