Re: Pitot Static and Antenna Connections

Subject: Re: Pitot Static and Antenna Connections
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:23:49
In a message dated 9/14/99 Mike Parkin writes:

> I have been looking at the problems of connecting pitot/static connections
> and antenna connections from the wings to the fuselage during or post
rigging.
> I thought of perhaps an access panel through the cockpit wall into the wing
> root.  Has anyone used a similar system or any great ideas would be most
> welcome.

The main problem I feel is that neither the pitot/static lines nor RG-58
cable can stand bend radii which won't complicate installing upholstery.
What I plan to do is make a 90-degree elbow(s) for the pitot/static lines by
curing some flox in a 1/2" or so square mold of blue foam.  Then drill 1/4"
holes in two facets of it and bond in stubs of 1/4" metal tubing.  This elbow
can then be Redux'd into a 1/4" hole in the fuselage side at the wing root.
For RG-58, get either a female chassis mount connector (threads on the BNC
side have the lowest profile on the solder terminal side).  They also make
90-degree BNC connectors.  See Mouser Electronics  (www.mouser.com) or
Digi-Key (www.digikey.com).  The solder terminal side should also be shielded
by soldering something to the cable shield and
ground lug, maybe a thin metal sheet bent into a little housing (just
thinking online!).

Fred Fillinger, A063