Re: Coax Cable

Subject: Re: Coax Cable
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:22:46

>Thanks for the helpful advice. . . . . .  Maybe
>you might expand on your explanation and suggest or remind those
>interested that a stranded center conductor coaxial cable is the best way
>to go in a mobile installation.

  Excellent point. About 33 years ago we had a rash of
  VOR antenna system failures in the Cessna singles.
  Seems the coax cable from panel to antenna back on the
  vertical fin became shorted.

  It took some digging to figure out why. The coax had
  been routed through an area of structure where the
  bend radius was too tight. Over time, the pressure
  of a single strand conductor on the plastic caused
  the wire to cold-flow through the insulation and short
  out on the outer conductor! Replacment of the coax with
  stranded center conductor -AND- rerouting for a larger
  bend radius prevented this from happening again . . .

  Further, a stranded conductor is more resistant to
  breakage from flexing and is preferable for that
  reason also.

  Thanks for the reminder!

       Bob . . .

                       ////