Re: Coax Cable for transponders

Subject: Re: Coax Cable for transponders
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:33:32
>>>Can you tell me the difference between RG142 and RG400
>>>cable except that one has solid center conductor and the
>>>other stranded.
>>
>>bn:  Why use either of these cables?
>
>Well, for one reason, the Bendix/King KLX-135A Installation Manual
>specifies that if the length of the coax is to be longer than 9 feet (as I
>recall), RG-142 or RG-400 is to be used.
>

>bn:  The modern RG cables like 400 and 142 are still
>bn:  small diameter cables and have losses comparable
>bn:  to RG-58.
>
>NOT TRUE.
>RG58  has a nominal attenuation of 20db per 100 feet at 1GHz.
>RG142 has a nominal attenuation of 13db per 100 feet at 1GHz.

bn:

   I stand corrected . . . but for a run of say 15' (very
   long in a single engine airplane) we're talking
   3db for RG58 versus 2db for RG142 . . . which is
   still trivial. I encourage my readers to put the xponder
   antenna as close to the instrument panel as they can.
   Given that very few antennas are on the belly of any
   airplane, a coax length of 5-6 feet is possible for
   most airplanes . . . a GOOD thing to shoot for irrespective
   of the kind of coax you use.  Losses in this length
   of coax are insignificant.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)