Re: COZY: Re: [c-a] Contactors

Subject: Re: COZY: Re: [c-a] Contactors
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:30:59
>Allan,
>
>The master solenoid has three lugs.  (I have one sitting right here that
>says W-R/RBM  70-111226-5 COIL 12 VDC CONT.)  The key word here is CONT. as
>in "continuous".
>
>The starter solenoid has four lugs.

  Be aware that "starter" contactors and "battery"
  contactors can come with ANY combination of lugs.
  They can also be pretty mysterious as to whether
  they are continuous duty or intermittant duty
  unless specifically marked.

  Using an ohmmeter, you can deduce a LOT of important
  information about contactors. It's pretty much
  a no-brainer that the FAT terminals carry the
  BIG currents but the SKINNY terminals can be
  used in a variety of ways.

  If you are holding a strange contactor in your
  hand for the first time, find the terminals that
  are on the ends of the coil first. It's a sure
  bet that if the contactor has only three
  terminals total, that the one skinny terminal
  is one end of the coil.

  Attach the ohmmeter there and look at the other
  two terminals with the other . . . if no is
  found to the fat terminals, check to the mounting
  base of the contactor. When you've discovered
  the coil ends, note the resistance reading.
  If below 10 ohms, it's a sure bet that the contactor
  is intermittant duty. A continuous duty contactor
  will measure 10 to 20 ohms. If greater than 20
  ohms, you MIGHT have a 24 volt device.

  If you have a 4-terminal device -AND- one of the
  coil terminals includes the mounting base, then
  the 4th terminal is probably a "telegraph" contact
  used to signal other parts of the system that the
  contactor is closed. This feature is found most
  often in intermittant duty, starter contactors
  wherein the 4-therminal is used to bypass an
  ignition ballasting resistor on older cars. In
  airplanes, some builders use this to drive a
  "starter engaged" indicator light on the panel.

  The contactors illustrated in our website catalog
  are two examples that you can take a peek at.
  The continous duty contactor photo shows
  a 4-terminal device. You can see a recommended
  technique for installing a spike supression
  diode on this device and adding a jumper wire
  to make it applicable to battery contactor
  service. The intermittant duty device shown
  is also 4-terminal . . . However, in this case
  the BASE of the contactor is one side of the
  coil while the 4th terminal is the "telegraph"
  terminal I mentioned above. This contactor has
  a spike catcher diode built in.

  A gross count of terminals cannot be directly
  equated to the manner in which the contactor
  is wired -OR- the service to which it is
  applicable in the airplane.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)