Re: CHEEP GPS

Subject: Re: CHEEP GPS
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:18:28
>    Someone was asking about simple GPS 's that are  available. I have the
>cheep Magelland which sells for $99.00 dollars at walmart  or Kmart. I have
>used it to fly my cessna all arround the northeast and find it  to be the
>best of both worlds. It has no data base, but has 100 memories and is  very
>easy to program and use. It has route capability, shows actual heading and
>speed. It will even display your time of arrival based on your speed. The
>best  thing is it gives you a simple compass rose with a needle and you use
>it as if  you were using a VOR. No buttons to play with while flying and
>you can be  looking out windshield like you should be. It runs for 48 hrs
>on two AA  batteries. Its been very reliable.     NY

  I wrote an article for Sport Aviation several years back
  about the little boater/hiker hand-helds. I've had several
  of the Magellan handhelds, the GPS2000 is still my favorite
  but they all work fine. Haven't even turned a VOR receiver
  ON in over two years. Once you've gone cross country direct
  to hit a waypoint 1 mile off the approach end of the runway
  with a $100 radio, it's hard to go back!  There's a copy
  of the article available at:

  http://home.kscable.com/aeroelectric/articles/nailgun.pdf

       Bob . . .

                       ////