GPS-ity

Subject: GPS-ity
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:10:18
Cheers:
        My understanding (about 5 years ago) was that the early models had not
the memory capacity to go past 1024 weeks (that digital 4x two to the
eighth power thing) and the satellites were patterned, like the satphone
galaxy, after the amateur radio microsats which have now lasted for some
ten years.
will sail through for several more 'turn-overs'.
        While on this topic, may I suggest a bit of curiosity into the amateur
radio APRS (automatic packet reporting system) - which accepts the
datastream from the GPS receiver and re-transmits it by AR packet (the
proprietary email via VHF) to the home address every, say, thirty
minutes giving callsign, position and one other variable (Temp, alt?).
Consider. When you come home, there is your home flight log sitting in
your computor - OR if you don't make it, the wreckage is within 30
minutes of the last transmission.
        That's how UPS knows where your package is - there's one on every
truck(lorry).
Happy Landings,
Ferg #A064

Happy landings