Re: Doors locking system

Subject: Re: Doors locking system
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:02:05
Javier --

Keeping a vicious animal inside the cockpit will save you some build time on
this aspect <g>.

Alternatively, here's what I did.  Fabricate a small block made from 1/2"
aluminum stock.  Drill a hole in it to fit the long pushrod DL08R, and
another to tap for a set screw.  Buy a lock that will fit depth-wise in the
door. Size the block and position the lock so that the it's tang will meet
the block when DL08R tries to move forward, and miss it when in the unlocked
position.  You'll need a hole on the interior side of the door, of course, to
install and adjust these items, which can be plugged with a nylon or metal
hole plug.

For the starboard side door (haven't done this part yet), I plan to install a
small knob affixed to a pin which will slide in and out, engaging something
in the door handle mechanism.  To make this workable, I did not follow the
manual's method of glassing over the hole you cut in the door to install the
door handle mechanism.  Rather, I made a small aluminum cover plate that will
permit service access (and hold the locking pin).

Hope this helps......

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063