Re: "Field" circuits

Subject: Re: "Field" circuits
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:56:15
>>O.k., I know that I should know this, but . . .
>>
>>How does one tell whether an alternator needs a field switch? Or
>>do they all need a field switch?
>>
>>I have a new 0-320 that came with an alternator but no electrical
>>schematic or directions to my knowledge. And I know only enough
>>to get myself into trouble.
>>
>>I've had some planes with separate field switches and others that if
>>they had one I overlooked it.  ;-)
>>
>>Any clues?

  All alternators need some form of panel mounted
  pilot control for turning it OFF - they also need
  overvoltage protection. If the alternator
  has a built in regulator and you don't plan to modify
  it for an external regualtor, then you need to wire
  it as shown in http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/bleadovm.pdf

  If your alternator uses and external regulator, then
  it can be wired in accordance with any of many classic
  wiring diagrams like those shown in the back of our
  book.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)