Re: Lights

Subject: Re: Lights
From: Nigel Hutchinson-Brooks <nhb@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:46:14

RE strobes:  As my Europa will be flying mainly from an
airport with 350,000 (yes really) aircraft movements a year,
strobes are essential , to be seen!!  However Ivan's design
philosophy is to have nothing (ie no undercarriage or fuel
or unnecessary weight) in the wings, 1. to keep roll inertia
to a minimum, and 2. to make wing removal as easy as
possible with minimal (dis)connections.  I have had a real
good look at the Europa viewing angles and believe that one
strobe on top of the tailplane and one under the belly (off
centreline maybe) with a triple flashing strobe will be seen
---From every possible direction and achieve 1 & 2 above.

I was at the factory on 1-3 June, where Andy Draper showed
me a just-arrived-for-evaluation very lightweight strobe
that would mould perfectly onto tail top and belly, I think
it was a double flash, and not expensive.  I believe he is
going to check it out and publish details in a factory
newsletter.  I must chase him up that!  REgards, Nigel H-B.