Re: Trailer ??

Subject: Re: Trailer ??
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mentorg.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:56:04
John,
 You could use the delay to ponder the merits of an open trailer. One of the
many
dark thoughts that occasionally pass through my mind (What would happen if the
wings fell off ? .......that sort of thing) is "what would happen if somebody
ran
into the back of my trailer". A month ago I found out. Two of us were tailoring
Gernot Schwetz's beautifully prepared Europa for it's annual inspection. Stopped
at some traffic lights, we heard the blood chilling scream of car tyres from
somewhere behind, shortly before being propelled two feet forward. A BMW had
buried itself in the back of the trailer. Now the good bit is that being a fully
enclosed "glider" style, the rear cross member and doors took the full brunt of
the force. The Europa inside was shaken ....but not stirred!
  What damage would the same collision have caused if an open trailer had been
used? This is by no means a criticism of the (by all accounts) nicely made
factory offering, but there are definate benefits to keeping your baby "behind
bars".
   Nigel 147