Re: Questions

Subject: Re: Questions
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:00:12
>Bob,
>Thank you for your answers. There was one more question I forgot to ask: I've
>been told that a good place to hook up the engine hour meter is to the
>charging side of the alternator - that way the hour meter only works when the
>engine is running (assuming the alternator is charging!).If this is the case,
>where would I connect the hour meter on your Z3? Would I need an inline
>Diode?

   Hour meters for airplanes run on 10-15 vdc. The raw output
   from your alternator is AC voltage. I've seen the technique
   you asked about accomplished with a bridge rectifier, resistor,
   capacitor and sometimes a zener diode for keeping the output
   voltage from becomming too high (the AC output is unregulated
   and quite high at cruise RPM).

   My preference is for using a single pole, double throw
   oil pressure switch as a combination hour meter and low
   oil pressure warning light driver.  The hour meter runs
   directly from the battery through a 1-3A fuse and gets
   ground through the close on pressure side of the switch.
   A low oil pressure warning light powers from the essential
   bus (or main bus if you don't have a two-bus system)
   and gets ground through the close on no pressure side
   of the switch.

   This system will cause the hour meter to run even if the
   battery master is OFF.  The low oil pressure warning serves
   two purposes. In addition to the obvious function, the light
   serves as a reminder to shut off the battery master switch
   before leaving the airplane. Some builders include a small
   buzzer in the system as a audible alert.  If your airplane
   has an essential-bus/main-bus architecture, then driving the
   warning light from the e-bus monitors both the battery master
   -and- the e-bus alternate feed switches.

   A diagram describing this sytem may be downloaded from

   http://www.aeroelectric.com/oilpwarn.pdf

   We stock the double throw oil pressure switch as
   an S710-1 Oil Pressure Switch. Not in our website
   catalog yet but you can order one with a statement
   in the comments box that you'd like to have an S710-1
   Switch. They're $7.50 plus postage.

   By the way, some browser's interface with Acrobat Reader
   can be flakey. One of four machines I use will not
   smoothly display a .pdf link accessed directly from
   the browser. Acrobat opens and the browser reports
   "document done" but the page is blank. If this happens,
   use your right mouse button to click on the link an
   direct your browser to "save link" to some spot on your
   hard drive. After the download is completed, use Acrobat
   as an independent application to open the .pdf file
   directly from your hard drive.