Re: Fuel Capacity

Subject: Re: Fuel Capacity
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:22:02
I have done a lot of calibration of the original larger tank which will not
be of much use to more recent builders.  There is one thing worth noting
though,  reserve is variable !

Firstly different answers can be measured according to the deck angle, e.g.
on/off trailer, new or old tailwheel.  More seriously you will find that
because the reserve communicates with the main across the tunnel,  what stays
in the reserve side  depends on your flight history, e.g manoevres,
turbulence  -  On  occasions when I have run the main side down below nominal
reserve level, I have found that there is much less than expected in the
reserve side, once as low as 6 litres !  In a worst case situation they could
go down equally, which would give you a nasty fright unless you have two
gauges.  If you only have one then it must be in the reserve side, though it
is not nice not knowing when the main will finish.

Graham C  G-EMIN