Re: Anodizing

Subject: Re: Anodizing
From: Rob Waters <robw@iprolink.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:49:24
This may not be of any use just yet, but the following may be of interest in
general terms. A New Zealand company has recently developed a new anodising
process that can be applied to magnesium alloy without affecting the mechanical
properties of the metal. The process also doesn't produce chrome fluoride or
heavy metal waste products that some other treatments do. As magnesium has the
same strength as aluminium, but is much lighter, there is quite a bit of
international interest in this process. Already Mercedes are making seat parts
for their S-class cars from this material. Hopefully there will soon be
spin-offs for aviation products and we can look forward to lighter components
and maybe even engines.

Rob Waters