Water pump

Subject: Water pump
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:18:37
Question forwarded from David Hillam.

Has anyone experienced problems with water leak from the
pump?

After altering the position of the pump outlets according
to the manual (difficult, but that is another story) I
refitted the pump and continued to fit engine to fuselage.
Before I got any further I heard about the stator
replacement, removed the engine and transported it to
Kirkbymoorside.  On return I found a few drops of coolant
under the pump.  It appeared that the disturbance of
transport had shifted coolant, left in some part of the
system after being factory tested, down to the water
pump.

Investigation showed that it appeared to come from the
bottom retaining bolt which I re-assembled with the
original copper and spring washers.  Tightening the bolt
had no effect on curing the leak.  On removing the pump
housing again, I found that there is a channel in it which
communicates with the hole for the bottom bolt.  Therefore
coolant can pass along the hole with the bolt and through
the gap in the spring washer, ie by-passing the gasket.

1.  Have I mysteriously acquired an extra spring washer
that shouldn't be there (there are none missing from the
other 6 bolts)?

2.  Should I simply refit with the copper washer only and
seal with Duralac?

3.   How do I test for leaks before refitting the engine,
bearing in mind that any leak from the area must be almost
impossible to cure without removing the engine again?

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Thanks for any help.

----------------------
David Hillam   Kit 113  G-SHSH

dgh@liverpool.ac.uk

*** PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF DIRECT PHONE AND FAX NUMBER ***

Gerry Holland                                   Direct Line : 07071 227887
IntraNet Solutions Inc                          Switchboard : 01753 701072
Strategic Business Manager EMEA Operations      Direct Fax  : 01761 432472
The Nova Building, Herschel Street              Mobile      : 07808 402404
Slough, Berks. SL1 1XS

mailto:gerry.holland@intranetsol.com

Corporate Web Site     : http://www.intranetsol.com
UK & Europe Web Site   : http://www.intranetsol.co.uk