Re: comms

Subject: Re: comms
From: DaveBuzz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:37:49
Ben,
<< I have a Trimble Terra unit. It receives perfectly but transmissions are
variable. Sometimes fine; sometimes OK , sometimes useless; all at about the
same range.  My headsets are OK and the antenna is the standard fin tape. >>

after much time wasted trying to get the internal intercom working with my
flightcom eclipse headsets last year i eventually gave up and installed a
flightcom 403 intercom. However, when i was ground testing and taxiing
around, although reception was good the ground station could hardly hear me
(std copper tape aerial). on checking the radio i remembered that i had
tweaked the internal pots whilst trying for that elusive internal intercom
but had not reset them.
   the solution was to increase the mic gain - it worked perfectly, ground
stations being able to receive my tx's much better. havent had much chance to
test it on a range of frequencies yet, but this is something you could try in
the air (on the fly.. (wince ;-)), get some knowledgable pax with you to
switch off, remove the unit, adjust the mic gain, then plug it back in again,
while you try calling your favourite airfield and see if you can get any
improvement... might not be scientific but hell, if it works.......

chus,
dave
g-bxum