wing pin removal and replacement

Subject: wing pin removal and replacement
From: Christine Timm <cptimm@intergate.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:02:22
Hooray! we (well Peter actually)  have succeeded in removing the ill fated
pin.

Thanks to all of you for the interesting and helpful suggestions.
Especially Graham whose suggestion was tried and worked! (We did work with
some of the hot and cold ones but with no results.

      " If nothing works, drill it out with successively larger drills, dig
out the remaining thread spiral and retap. If that fails too, remove the
plates and
put new ones on.

    Graham"

After a visit to the local RAA Chapter which generated a number of
suggestions
too, Peter also went to his trusted Barber!
We all know how valuable their help can be.  Well the barber (a mechanic on
the side) suggested we take a circular saw
file and break it into three pieces to be used successively to drill out the
pin.  Thus, he endorsed Graham's suggestion
and Peter felt confident to try.  It took nearly all day, with breaks to
relieve the back ache from the awkward position.
A dental tool was useful to lift out the metal from the thread when this
phase was reached.  The hole was successfully retapped  and now, with both
new pins installed, we are preparing to set up the alignment etc. (to
install the wing sockets I think) . I just hold the tip, Peter does the
skilled
work.

So, thanks again for your support, it was really appreciated.  Hope this
information will help anyone else finding themselves in a similar situation.

for Peter Timm Building #110
Chris