Hints & Tips (XS)

Subject: Hints & Tips (XS)
From: J Ron Jones <jronjones@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:03:40
When you are trial fitting the fuselage top & stern post don't waste time
trying to fit the three fin ribs at this stage  -  you will drive yourself
crazy ! The problem is trying to hold the ribs at right angles to the stern
post, at the correct relative position to said stern post (because you will
have removed this to gain access) and drilling through the flange of the rib
and the fin skin to fix clicos. All of this has to be done one handedly
through the narrow trailing edge.
When you are happy with the fit of the top and stern post and have trimmed
the rear bulkhead to fit nicely into the fin, draw round the bulkhead onto
the inside of the fin skin to show where to scuff-sand. Then remove the
fuselage top and invert it. (I found that it rested nicely on my workbench
with the fin supported by foam on the floor) With the stern post clicoed
into the fuse top, the ribs can be simply dropped into position. Two pieces
of black tape stuck to the inside of the flange on each side of the rib show
where to drill for clicos when a lead-light is dropped inside the fin.
The line you drew around the bulkhead shows where to cut the forward bit off
the  lower rib. Easy-peasy !

Happy building !
Regards, Ron Jones.