Polyfiber Prime Coat

Subject: Polyfiber Prime Coat
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 19:42:19

>The Primer has one problem. If like me you have stored it at about 70
>degrees F then when you come to preparing the 'stuff' prior to use be
>prepared for a lot of stirring!
>
>The 'sludge' in the bottom of the can took 3 days (probably 20+ hours to
>mix into the fluid. Ended up using a Vertical Drill with 'paddle' action
>on secured Can to get the mixing up to speed. That took a long time.

I made a mixing machine using two parallel rubber rollers about 2" dia. X
18" long ( foam pipe lagging on a 15mm copper pipe)  and 5" apart, mounted
on bearings on a wooden base board about 2ft X 2ft.   One of the rollers
was driven by an old car windscreen wiper motor and powered from a battery
charger.     The paint can was placed on its side on the rollers ( make
sure that the lid is on tight and clipped )  and rotated slowly at about 20
RPM for 24 hours prior to using ( longer if a lot of 'sludge' in the
bottom).   You will probably find that the can will tend to work its way
off one end of the rollers ( unless you are more accurate than me at making
the rollers parallel !! );  to prevent this  a little wheel was mounted on
a pillar to run on the end of the tin and hold it in place.     This method
has the advantage that no bubbles are formed;  as will occur with the high
speed 'shaker' mixers.

Ted     G-ZTED