Re: source of large in-line fuses

Subject: Re: source of large in-line fuses
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:25:45

>I was looking for large in-line fuses and discovered a surprising source:
>mobile audio suppliers.  Seems that the proliferation of multi-hundred watt
>amplifiers popular with cars that go boom-booming around town has created a
>market for large in-line fuses.  Fuses in the range of 10A-100A and holders
>that accommodate 8awg and 4awg wire are common for this type of
>installation.
>
>So if you want to use an in-line fuse instead of a fusable link somewhere,
>this may be a useful place to look.

  I have been watching some of these products and even ordered
  a few items to looke them over. To date, I have no positive
  recommendations for products I've seen.  The lower current
  fuses are large, tubular glass cartridges that require holders
  with large area, low pressure contacts. I'm skeptical of the "gold"
  finish on many of these parts as to it's value in maintaining
  low contact resistance.

  Wire attachement on many of the high-power mobil audio accesories
  is by driving a screw laterally into a bundle of stranded wire . . .
  okay for solid house wire but not Mil-W-22759 bizillioin strand
  aircraft wire.

  You can buy an automotive encarnation of the ANL series current
  limiters which mount on threaded studs and attach wires using
  conventionally applied ring terminals. I'l consider these for
  use in airplanes.  If anyone has some experience or engineering
  data in support of specific products, I'd be pleased to hear
  about it. For the moment, the majority of what I've seen in catalogs
  and hanging on the racks in stores wasn't very exciting.
       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >