Re: Transponder antenna gnd plane

Subject: Re: Transponder antenna gnd plane
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:01:25
>I recall a discussion on the size of the x-ponder ground plane.  Believe
>was around 5.20 inches dia. (some number times the antenna length).
>Does anyone recall this number?

  2 times the seated height of the antenna which is 2.6"

> Location away from the pilot/co-pilot is also
>recommended but over ten feet requires a different cable. Yes?? I was
>thinking about locating it aft of the pilot in the baggage area. Is that
>distance safe?

  A totally bogus recommendation. A few years back, someone observed
  that their transponder was rated for 200 watts output . . . 1/3rd
  that of the family microwave. Our hero was immediately concerned for
  preservation of the family jewels and proceeded to line the bottom
  of his composite seat pan with aluminum foil. What he failed to
  understand was that his RF coffee warmer and popcorn popper was
  rated in continuous watts while the transponder was in peak watts.
  The average power output from a transponder is less than 1 watt . . .
  BTW, the eyes are about 100 times more sensitive to the effects of
  microwave heating than are any deep organs . . . you'll go blind
  you quit making babies.
       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)