Re: Battery contactor temperature

Subject: Re: Battery contactor temperature
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:07:59
>During a tech counselor inspection, we discovered that my battery contactor
>felt pretty warm when its master switch was on (engine not running - don't
>have one yet). I later measured it at 135 F, regardless of load on the
>battery. After moving the battery to the other contactor, it also measured
>135 F after being on for about 10 minutes. (I have dual batteries,
>contactors, and master switches.) These contactors are Stancor 70-914, with
>nominal coil resistance of 16 ohms at 12 volts, rated at 80 amps continuous.
>Voltage measurements across the contactor coil, master switch, and wiring
>indicate there's about 0.8 amps flowing, which is about what I think it
>should be.
>
>So my questions are: 1) Has anybody else measured contactor temperature?
>and, 2) Should I be worried about this?

  A battery contactor is a continuous duty rated device and as you
  have observed, dwill draw about .8 amps at 14 v which translates
  to something on the order of 10 watts. It is NORMAL for all devices
  of this class to run warm. Starter contactors will draw about
  4 amps or 50 WATTS which would make them toast in a vew minutes.
  This is why they are INTERMITTANT rated devices.
       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >