Re: Corrosion Proofing

Subject: Re: Corrosion Proofing
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:25:06
>Miles/All
>
>I'm just starting out but would like to get things right from the outset.
>
>Do you use the Alodine treatment and then coat it with the Zinc
>Chromate

Yes -on virtually all ali bits, except where ther are bonded into the
structure, and then they are alodyned to improve adhesion.

>Is there a definitive list of what parts require what treatment?

No - but it's easy to work out.

>Can Zinc Oxide spray be used instead of the nasty sounding Zinc Chromate?

Possibly, but I don't think that it's as effective in the long run.

>Aircraft Spruce list "Improved Metal Prep No.79" as the precleaning agent to
>use with Alodine No.1201, any reason you didn't use this?

Not familiar with this - I use the A/C coverings acid wash/prep just prior
to alodyning -otherwise any grease/ oil (especially fingerprints) prevents
the alodyne from doing its stuff...

>What did you use on the inside of the pushrods etc?

On pushrods, I injected a small amount of ACF-50 ( a very effective -and
rather expensive- WDC (water displacing compound) before closing them up.

Miles